Welcome to the Bermuda National Trust
The Bermuda National Trust cares for 277 acres comprised of 82 properties that represent much of the best of Bermuda’s heritage – a variety of traditional historic houses, islands, gardens, cemeteries, nature reserves and coastline. In addition, three museums display an outstanding collection of artefacts owned and made by Bermudians, and tell the intriguing story of the island’s development.
The Trust has a strong education programme, focused on encouraging appreciation of our built and natural heritage and what it means to our future.
To protect and promote Bermuda’s unique natural and cultural heritage forever, by:
- acquiring and conserving land, buildings and artefacts;
- inspiring appreciation and stewardship through advocacy, research, education and participation
For Everyone, Forever
BUILT HERITAGE | May 8, 2020
By Linda Abend, Bermuda National Trust
In conjunction with the National Museum of Bermuda, the Trust is going to run a series of short articles about the buildings that we consider most at risk in Bermuda and the most worth saving.
Anna, the wife of Montreal merchant James Morgan, bought 31½ acres and an old Bermuda house from the heirs of Thomas Dunscomb in 1913. The core of the house can be traced with certainty to 1820 but is thought to date as far back as 1745. The property was already known as Southlands and it became James Morgan’s retirement project. Using stone cut from his quarries, he almost immediately began to extend the house. With the help of Bermudian architect Edward Tucker, the integrity of the original U-shaped house with its three uniquely-positioned butteries was not compromised. The quarries were turned into individually themed gardens with a variety of exotic imported plants. The Egyptian quarry for instance contained a pool of water lilies fringed by papyrus. Morgan purchased several nearby properties, eventually owning over 80 acres.
A philanthropist in Canada, James Morgan was generous in Bermuda. In 1920 he gave money to his neighbourhood school, Warwick Academy, which allowed them to complete the wings and build the assembly hall. He was a member of the Warwick Parish Development Committee set up in 1917 to tackle the deficiency in the food supply by encouraging home gardening and the cultivation of all available land. The Morgans held fundraisers at Southlands to help with the cost of equipment needed for the newly opened King Edward VII Memorial Hospital.
To learn more about the history of Southlands see our newest book from out Architectural Heritage Series: Warwick, available for purchase.
AGM Awards Nomination Form
Bermuda National Trust Awards are presented annually to recognise individuals, organisations, groups and schools which have worked for the benefit of Bermuda and its people, to preserve places of beauty or historical interest, buildings, artefacts, lands and animal and plant life, and to promote their appreciation.
We do not know when our AGM can take place, but it doesn't stop us from looking out for the remarkable work that has been taking place over the past year. In fact, it would be uplifting. In light of that, please go ahead and click the link below to download the annual awards nomination form, once completed please send to email@example.com.
BNT Summer Camps 2020
Sign your kids up this summer break for one of our interesting and educational BNT Camps! Children will take part in fun activites, learn about Bermuda's spring traditions, history, heritage and more!
Download the sign up form below for more information or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE: Creative Lego Camp July 20th - 24th is FULL
BUILT HERITAGE | MARCH 19, 2020
By Linda Abend and Margie Lloyd, Bermuda National Trust
In conjunction with the National Museum of Bermuda, the Trust is going to run a series of short articles about the buildings that we consider most at risk in Bermuda and the most worth saving. This is the first article.
Located on the corner of Cambridge and Somerset roads is the Independent Order of Odd Fellows’ Loyal Irresistible Lodge No. 6587. Named after HMS Irresistible then stationed in Bermuda, it is without a doubt the most elaborate of all the lodge buildings.
Designed by John W Greig as a two-storey building, 56’ x 29’ x 14’ on each floor with a side tower, the cornerstone was laid in April 1901. From start to finish the work was done on a voluntary basis by the Brethren of the Lodge and when completed was debt-free. The grand new hall was dedicated with much pomp and circumstance on May 30, 1902. Participating in the celebration were members of the other Friendly Societies who arrived from Hamilton and St George’s on the steamer Corona. The newspaper remarked that “the most important feature of the parade was the presence of the Juvenile Branches... It is to them the Odd Fellows must look to build up their Lodges in the future”.
BNT Update: COVID-19
- Bermuda National Trust offices at Waterville will be closed until further notice. Staff will be working remotely and on special projects. We will be available on email directly and through email@example.com which will be monitored regularly.
Joint Statement: Buy Back Bermuda, The Bermuda National Trust and the Bermuda Audubon Society: Breaks ground for new nature reserve
March, 9th 2020 - A new nature reserve in Hamilton Parish will be open to the public this summer. Ground was broken on Friday for the restoration of Eve’s Pond, a project by Buy Back Bermuda, the joint initiative of Bermuda National Trust and Bermuda Audubon Society. In 1941 Eve’s Pond was filled in with sand dredged from Flatts Inlet. Funds raised from the community enabled Buy Back to acquire the 3.5-acre property in 2012, and prepare for its restoration as a sanctuary for wildlife and public enjoyment. Stay tuned for updates on this important conservation project.
Joint Statement: Bermuda National Trust and Bermuda Audubon Society on Judkin Lane, Hamilton Parish, Open Space quarrying proposal
February 11, 2020 - The Bermuda National Trust and Bermuda Audubon Society are extremely disappointed with the decision of the Minister of Home Affairs to approve the proposed commercial quarrying on the lot north of 9 Judkin Lane in Hamilton Parish, against the recommendation of the Independent Planning Inspector appointed to review the appeal.
As noted by the Independent Planning Inspector, this decision overturns the protection of Bermuda’s open space afforded by the Bermuda Plan 2018 and would result in the permanent destruction of a large section of woodland on a highly visible hillside in an area of significant environmental value.
We urge the Government to put in place a long-term plan for the provision of slate from acceptable development zones, for present and future use. The current approach is too damaging to our long-term future.
The ongoing piecemeal loss of Bermuda’s places of natural beauty, so essential to the wellbeing of the entire community, including our tourism product, is alarming. It flies in the face of the growing global understanding that we must do more, not less, to protect woodlands as part of the global fight against climate change.
In the National Trust’s care are 70 properties, covering 250 acres and representing much of the best of Bermuda’s heritage. Learn more about Bermuda's unique architectural...
Town of St. George
For residents and visitors alike, St. George’s is a “must see” on your list of things to do in Bermuda. Founded in 1612, the Town of St. George's has the distinction of being the oldest...
Purchase a gift membership (Membership begins/ends October 1st). Show you care by giving a Bermuda National Trust Membership. It's a great gift idea for birthdays, retirement...
The National Trust's nature reserves and historical homes offer unique learning experiences outside of the classroom. To make it easier for you to use these venues...