Location: Mullet Bay Road, St. George’s
Nea Smith, a long-time supporter of the National Trust, gave half her interest in this 8 acre property to the Trust and with it came the proud farming tradition of her family. Her father Reeve Smith and uncle Howard Smith had originally farmed together in St. David’s, but they were relocated by the Government when the aiport was built. Howard was famous for the cultivation of Easter lilies, and is remembered as the man who developed the early – blooming Easter Lily that is named after him, Lillium howardii.
In 1941, Reeve Smith purchased Stokes Point Farm from the Government. Over the years, Stokes Point Farm has produced potatoes, onions, celery and Easter lilies for the New York market.
The property reaches the coastline on both sides, being bounded by a sizable mangrove swamp at Ferry Reach and by Mullet Bay on the other side. The neighbouring two acres were acquired in 1980 by the Bermuda Audubon Society, which excavated and landscaped Bartram’s Pond, opening the property as a nature reserve in 1985.