Royal Gazette: Successful call for extra time for say on hotel SDO
Environmental groups, who threatened legal action if the Government did not extend the period for objections to the Fairmont Southampton special development order, last night welcomed the granting of extra time.
In a statement yesterday, the Ministry of Home Affairs said the initial deadline today had been extended by three weeks to May 26.
The ministry later clarified that, because the Bermuda Day public holiday falls on that date, submissions would be accepted no later than the end of Monday, May 29.
The Royal Gazette understands that the home affairs minister, Walter Roban, was notified by conservation groups that proceedings for a judicial review would commence if the extension was not granted.
Westend Properties, the owner of the Fairmont Southampton site, supported the extra time.
“We are aware that the Government has extended the review period for the Fairmont Southampton SDO application and understand the reasoning behind the extension,” Westend said.
“We agree that people should have the time necessary to review the document, form their opinions and voice their concerns.”
The move came after the Bermuda Environmental Sustainability Task Force, the Bermuda National Trust and the Bermuda Audubon Society wrote to Mr Roban, requesting a six-week extension.